Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My last month as a teenager

Barely a few weeks ago, my neighbour referred to me as "Uncle". Do I look that old?

We were in the lift. He was with his wife and his infant son in a pram. The little one was looking at me. He was cute (just like anyone else during his/her infant days) so I smiled at him (I don't only smile at cute people mind you, although I tend to give a bigger smile when I meet one). My neighbour started to engage in some baby-talk with his son which I thought was pretty entertaining, considering the usual 75 seconds of awkward silence I go through each time I take the lift with others.

I was amused up till the point when he said something like this to his son, "Why are you staring at Uncle ah? It is very rude to stare at Uncle like that you know?" And then he kept referring to me as Uncle for the rest of his baby-conversation. Of course I wasn't offended or anything. Nevertheless I decided to make some clarification. So I said smilingly to my neighbour, "Not Uncle la." Then he said, "Huh, really ah? Then Kor-kor ah?" "Er ... ya." Before the lift reached the 14th storey, he said, "Normally when you're 20 onwards, you can be called Uncle already." I wanted to reply, "I'll be 20 only next month, yet I don't wanna be called an Uncle even then." But I merely gave a chuckle and left the lift.

So, do I really look that old? I always thought I look younger than my peers. Or perhaps it was my little goatee which I've been trying to grow that made my neighbour perceive me as an adult.

It's only one month before I'm no longer called a teenager. But I wanna be forever young. Especially when I'm currently two years behind most of my peers in life.


Cherishing my remaining month of teenage life ...

No comments: